Soul Curry 2 (Diary of an Indian Girl in France)


This article was shared by Hetvi Vora...


This article belongs to a series called "Soul Curry"...
This being the second one... The first part can be read here - Soul Curry 1



Into my fourth month now, I can safely say that preconceived notions and “the history” of a country play a huge role in its present! Getting straight to the point, I am going to write all about how I, a 16 year old (confused, complicated and crazy) girl sees one of the world’s most stylish and snobbish people (there are other adjectives which we shall get into later!)  “The French”! There are three things the French love: clothes, food and the third is something you should understand!


For a Bombay girl (like me) to end up in a small European town is a bit too much of a change… I love people even in a Bombay local train or on the street! I am kind of a people person … (at least that’s what I think). Moving on, below are my conclusion on young French girls and boys (not that I am too old but that’s how you write I guess!)


         Clothes (dressing): School here is super long. About 9-10 hours a day! The French are always à la mode (in style). The girls always are well dressed from their hair to their toe nail…it’s all well done! Guessing how lazy I am I basically don’t bother doing all of it! At least not at 6.30 in the morning… I just skip it... although I have had my days but let’s not get in to that… I am in no doubt that France is home to most of the world’s best couturiers, the women here have money and are not afraid to experiment! (As far as I am concerned, these things are just for you to flip through magazines and dream about). Although when in Paris (yes, yes I saw the Eiffel tower) there were only Japanese in the big stores. (Still wondering why?). But the French do love to look their best and I think there is nothing wrong in it! Can’t say if they are too materialistic or it’s just their culture!  (I am obsessed with Chanel, just thought I should mention I LOVE CHANEL!!!)


·         Food: Everything you cannot imagine eating is a delicacy here! Right from rabbits to snails is devoured with a lot of élan here! I am a vegan and life becomes difficult just right about here! French food is simple and It is full of natural flavors and ingredients! France is a land of more than 300 different types of cheese, imagine the number of cows! I have lost count of the different types I ate but must admit I relished all of them. French are very well mannered and I struggle every day with my knife and fork. Although I must admit that I am a filthy and messy person but I am slowly getting the whole knife and fork procedures. Many knifes and many forks for different courses (sometimes I can’t help but feel pity for the poor dishwasher)


·         People: French people are nice to you only once they know you, not like us Indians who welcome and love everybody! French people are complicated and have opinions on each and everything (which I think is a good thing SOMETIMES). They judge you externally like how you dress, talk and walk and also being polite is super important. You just cannot forget your merci’s and s’il vous plait’s! They do not hesitate to express themselves! Example, my classmates missed 2 days at school because they were on the streets protesting for pension reforms which basically has nothing to do with them(last time I checked pensions and retirement was for older people) nonetheless, they were out on the streets! The teenagers are similar but expressive and a bit ahead about basically everything (note: bit here means way way ahead.) The French love their wines and are proud of it! I am proud of them too! Super invention. The French are nice people just a bit too perfect!


I have to mention Marie Churin, who is insisting that I should tell the world that the French men are hot and super classy! (Note: She has a mind blowing English accent!)



                                                                                    - Hetvi Vora


Part 1 of the article can be read here - Soul Curry 1


Share your views below by commenting...


Have Your Own Work published here and get more readers to read it by simply clicking on  -  Publish Your Work Here

2 comments:

Aman Deshmukh said...

Either the article is wrongly named, or you've missed out on the very vital 'soul' part.
all along, you've been describing what kind of life the french have - what they eat, drink and wear. But isn't the name 'Soul' Curry?
You're giving a pretty bland description what life the French people live. Not what YOU FEEL as an Indian girl living in France. A description could have been given by anyone, what would have made it different would have been your emotions, what you feel about living there, and more of such 'soul'ful, personal stuff.
Its really good otherwise!
:D

curried soul said...

thank you for letting me know what you though of it! ...will make a note of it for sure .
the name is definately " soul but the suffix is curry and thats whats happeneing ...theres kind of mix and match of things from two different culturesand thats what i am writing about ! i hope you have read the first article of the series ...it was more about "ME" . while for the second one i decided to give an insight into lives of the people here ..
thank you once again !

Post a Comment

myfreecopyright.com registered & protected